Friday, June 29, 2007

Wild Stripes and Surfing Monkeys Unite



Project: Wild Stripes baby blanket from Knitty.com (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer05/PATTwildstripes.html)


Yarn: Knit Picks Merino Style-- all colors called for except substitued the coal for the cornflower color.

Needles: Size 5 circular-- 32"

Fabric: Cotton Flannel-- surfing monkeys. I am fairly certain this came from Joann's. Red binding.

Receipent: Little Man

Time: This was one of my first knitting projects. I thought it was a great first knitting project. Nice but not pricey yarn, repeated knit and purl but with color changes so it didn't get dull. And best of all for me it contained my love of quilting into it. All in all a great project. This took me about 6 months to complete off and on.

Notes: This is not perfect by any means. My first rows are funny to look at. I think I must have been twisting my stitches. I left them in so I know where I started from, yep that's it. LM is only two. He loves it and doesn't seem to mind the imperfectness of it. He just loves that mommy made it for him. (Don't you wish everything was that simple.)

I did the entire thing with hand stitching because I wasn't getting the control I wanted with my sewing machine. It still would not totally square up, I'm not sure what the technical term for this is.

I can see the benefit of using a striped or plaid fabric. I had no choice. I asked LM what he wanted in fabric and he said "moky" so monkey fabric it was. The colors on the flannel seemed right for the project also.
Also, I didn't always follow the right number count on the stripes. This was a travelling, car, playground project and well, it has to be said, I screwed up even the simplest pattern.
I have quite a bit of leftover yarn but I am not sure what to do with it yet. Any suggestions?


No comments: