Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Baby Crafts-Part One

Before the newest little man got her I had some fun making him some special items. Someone should have told me embroidering on onesies was so much fun. I have been having a ball transforming all the solid onesies into custom shirts.

I especially love this rocket ship from Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To by Jenny Hart. Love this book! He likes the shirt, honest he does. He just like's mama's milk better right there.

I have been just using Gerber onesies (because they are what I had on hand and I like that the sleeves are finished instead of just serged). Some (okay most) of the onesies are his big brother's hand me downs. Now they are uniquely his.

I didn't use a backing on these. Sometimes when doing embroidery on clothes I use a bit of cotton quilt batting on the backside cut to shape. This often hides knots, makes the stitches even and is a bit softer against the skin. I wasn't liking the look of that on these little onesies so I just put the onesie in a hoop and stitched away. I also just used whatever colors I liked in my big box of tangled floss. Worked just fine.

Since his borther had these type of shirts for every holiday I am afraid the newest guy will have to suffer momma's crafty endeavors as well.

Next installment- the knitting projects.


No comments: